The Amarillo Police Department accepts applications year round for the position of Police Officer. Applications are submitted to the Amarillo Police Department, Training and Personnel Division, 200 SE 3rd Ave., Amarillo, TX 79101.
The entrance exam for the 86th Amarillo Police Academy will be held on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:00 am in the Lecture Hall at the Amarillo College West Campus. Applications will be accepted thru November 29, 2013, at 5:00 PM
That academy will start June 5th, 2014.
Amarillo Police Officer applicants must be a U.S. citizen of good character with no Felony or Class A convictions, probation or deferred adjudication; no Class B convictions, probation or deferred adjudication in the past 10 years; no family violence conviction; possess a valid Texas drivers license with a good driving record; an applicant must be at least 21 years of age and no older than 44 years of age on the first day of the academy; must be able to read, write and speak the English language at a high school graduate level; must have normal hearing and be able to follow written and verbal instructions; must be able to work under stressful conditions and occasionally work overtime. Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED. If an applicant possesses a GED the applicant must also possess 12 hours from an accredited college with a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average. Applicants must provide copies of drivers license, social security card, birth certificate, high school diploma, GED and college transcript (if applicable) and DD-214 Member 4 form (if applicable). If you have military service you may receive 5 points preference on the Civil Service Entrance Exam. ***Applicants who have lived more than 500 miles from Amarillo, outside the State of Texas, during the five years preceding their application will be considered on a case by case basis by the Chief.***
Current Employment Opportunities
- Police Recruit and Civilian applications are processed by the City of Amarillo, Human Resources Department.All applications must be submitted electronically: Submit Application Now.
Important Recruit Information
- The entrance exam for the 86th Amarillo Police Academy will be held on Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 8:00 am will be held in the Lecture Hall at the Amarillo College West Campus. Applications will be accepted thru November 29, 2013, at 5:00 PM.
- Salary and Benefits Brochure
- Physical Agility
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Women Recruiting
- Tattoos and Piercings
Police Academy Entrance Exam Study Guide – (contact Training and Personnel for the download code)
- Citizen of the United States
- Possess a valid Texas Driver’s License upon employment
- Age 21 and not older than 44 years of age on first day of police academy
- High School Graduate or GED and 12 hours of college with a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- All military veterans must have an HONORABLE DISCHARGE documented by a DD-214
- Applicant must have resided within Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Kansas or Colorado for the past 5 years. Exceptions can be made for applicants who are/were in the military or full time police employment during that time but lived outside the listed states.
STEPS IN THE ENROLLMENT PROCESS
- Initial Application
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Test
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Interview Board
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Felony or Class A conviction, probation, deferred adjudication or community supervision;
- Class B misdemeanor conviction; probation, deferred adjudication or community supervision within the previous 10 years;
- Three at fault traffic accidents within the previous three years;
- Eight traffic citations (not convictions) for moving violations in the previous three years, or three traffic citations (not convictions) for moving violations within the previous year;
- Driver’s license presently suspended;
- Previous conviction of domestic violence;
- Discharge from the military with other than an Honorable Discharge;
- Any illegal possession or drug usage within three years of submitting application for employment; or
- Illegally dealing in narcotics.
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?
- Interest in People
- Communication Skills
- Problem Solving Abilities
- Learning Ability
- Physical Ability
- Desire for Self-Improvement
Contacts for Training and Personnel are:
|Director of Training and Personnel||Capt. Jim Burgess||(806) email@example.com|
|Academy Sergeant||Sgt. Carla Burr||(806) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Academy Sergeant||Sgt. Mike Martinez||(806) email@example.com|
|Human Resource Technician for civilian personnel||Janetta Harlow||(806) 378-6101|
|Application requests||Beth Thurmon||(806) 378-4291|
Toll Free: 1-800-934-1340
If you have what it takes to become an Amarillo Police Officer, complete an application and begin the process towards a career of a lifetime. Contact Sgt. Mike Martinez at 378-4006 or Sgt. Carla Burr at 378-3084 if you would like to know more about becoming a member of the Amarillo Police Department.